Friday, December 10, 2010


Since the class has concluded I have thought about different ways I can apply my skill as a lighting designer, and I realized that lighting design is not limited to the stage. Cinematography is the application of lighting and camera choices while recording for the cinema. However, there are some major differences between lighting a stage, which is a controlled environment, as versus lighting a film. For instance, a lot of film shooting happens outdoors. The cinematographer has to account for the time of day and the way that the sun, or lack there of, will affect the shoot. Moreover, on film, the viewer is watching in 2-D, so lighting depth in 2-D would also require an added skill. What I have appreciated most about this class was that it opened my eyes to a new means of expression. Where there is light, there is a story because lighting tells a story

No comments:

Post a Comment